Tuesday, October 16, 2012

My Cards at a Glance: First Impressions (Major Arcana)

I am just now about to open my new deck and see my cards (in person) for the first time. I want to record which cards I feel a strong connection for, and which I honestly feel nothing for.

My first note is the little white booklet that comes with any deck of tarot cards. I skimmed through it, glancing over some of the meanings on cards that I am already familiar with, and looking at the recommended spreads (the Celtic Cross was the only one shown). I don't think I'll be using their booklet with my cards, as I'm comfortable with my Everything Book and the meanings it gives me. However when I get into the deeper study of my cards, I will be sure to incorporate the meanings in the booklet for added clarification and contemplation.

The image on the back of the cards is beautiful. Soft colors, but staring at the back of the card doesn't bring any specific thoughts or emotions to mind... it's gentle, with a crystal ball in the center and all four suits represented in the corners. It sort of reminds me of staring into the sky in the early morning or early evening, just relaxing watching the clouds go by. It's very peaceful, and I think good for helping me keep my mind clear while working with my cards.

Major Arcana
0- The Fool: Makes me catch my breath, as if I'm waiting for something to happen, or wanting to call out a warning. I love the butterflies; they are a sign of rebirth and renewal.
1- The Magician: Very powerful.
2- The High Priestess: Night... but, safe. More butterflies. =)
3- The Empress: Every time I see this card, I keep thinking she looks pregnant. I think butterflies will be a common accessory in this deck, and that's a good thing. I do like this card.
4- The Emperor: Power again...
5- The Hierophant: Very spiritual. Accepting of all religions, though a harmony of them all. I'm not sure if it's the religious symbols on the card, but for some reason I don't really like this card. I don't hate it, but I don't like it either.
6- The Lovers: Such a beautiful card. Peace, love, harmony, all that wonderful hippie stuff. Calming.
7- The Chariot: Seems quite regal, for as simple as it is. The horses are black and white, I wonder if that means anything?
8- Strength: I love this card. It resonates power, not just physically "strength" but mentally; the woman has a staff/wand in her hand, so it IS very powerful. She seems so confident and at ease, yet her pose says that she could be ready to move at a moments notice. Maybe I connect with this card so much because I am a Leo, and it has a lion on it?
9- The Hermit: Sad seeming, yet beautiful. The light she holds is what makes such a darkly colored lonely card seem so full of hope.
10- Wheel of Fortune: This card gives off positive energy, but nothing specific comes to mind. Nothing on the card makes me think of any feelings or traits... even the symbols of sun and moon, and the lotus flower, and the tree sprites... nothing. My mind just instantly clears when I see this card.
11- Justice: It has a soft glow, calming colors. Nothing overly powerful, just... natural.
12- The Hanged Man: He seems more like an acrobat, as if hanging by choice rather than forced. The strings that hold him are dangling by his arms, seeming to give him the ability to let himself down when he wants.
13- Death: This reminds me more of a Spirit Healer, coming to revive the fallen rather than to take their spirit away. The guiding light in the dark. Beautiful. Might end up one of my favorites.
14- Temperance: Almost seems like a fun card, like she has no current responsibilities and is playing with power.
15- The Devil: Temptation. I neither like nor dislike this card.
16- The Tower: Ominous... Nature taking back what is rightfully hers, with all her wrath and power.
17- The Star: Beautiful. She seems to be doing the star dance like the Icarii peoples from one of my favorite book series. That's a very powerful meaningful dance.
18- The Moon: She reminds me of a huntress. But a nature-loving huntress, as if she can speak to the animals. She IS the human incarnation of the moon.
19- The Sun: Oh she's a wonderful mother. Everything she touches grows strong and healthy. Powerful, but gentle.
20- Judgment: It's like a soft quiet morning, but with a darkening sky overhead, as if a storm is coming in.
21- The World: Such a beautiful card. I love this card. it's peaceful, harmonious. sparkling... all things coming together for the big picture, and it's such a beautiful picture.
The Unknown Card: An extra card in the deck, one I think I'll keep as part of mine. Makes me think of a gypsy, with her crystal ball, asking if you want your fortune told. I think I like this card, for as dark as the color scheme is, the background and accessories make me think of an older age, one filled with magick and mysterious wisdom.

It's getting late, so I'm going to take a break for the night. I'll go through the Minor Arcana tomorrow. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment expressing your own thoughts and feelings on the subject; another point of view is always welcome. =)